1. You know that feeling when you have something to do and you realise at the last minute that you don’t have half the tools you need to do it? Ergh. No-one needs that kind of stress do they? Library inductions help to signpost the tools you need so that you don’t find yourself writing that assignment at 2am and realising you haven’t got a clue how to access a copy of that crucial text you heard about in that lecture that time. Inductions may seem like information overload, but they will save you a lot of hassle later on.
2. Libraries contain a lot of resources and equipment. At Stratford we have books, journals, computers, Galaxy tablets, printers, self-issue machines, self-return machines, print credit machines…we won’t show you how to operate all of the equipment, but we’ll show you where it all is and explain how they can help you. No-one wants to learn all this stuff in the early hours of the morning, right?
3. You get to meet me. Yes, that’s really reason enough, I think? Ok, number 4…No? Oh ok. Well, as your subject librarian I am here to support you in your studies throughout your time at UEL. Want a dedicated one-to-one session where I can spend time showing you how to search specialist databases for relevant research? That’s where I come in. I’m more than happy to help anyone who needs it, but it would also be nice to meet you and introduce myself at the start. Saves that awkward “well, I didn’t actually go to your induction…” conversation.
4. You’ll be visiting the library a lot in your time at UEL. Who can blame you? It’s a fab building with lots of great resources that are free for you to use, plus you get some quiet space to study. Quiet space not good enough? Well, we have silent study rooms too! Come to the induction and I’ll show you the best places to go for the kind of study you want to do. And if you want to work collaboratively without disturbing other people, then we also have a large collaborative space. Come to my induction, and I’ll even show you how you can access the (not so) secret Postgraduate Study Room (if you are a postgraduate!).
5. UEL’s Stratford library is a modern, award-winning building. Who wouldn’t want to spend some time being shown around? ‘Nuff said.
So, see you at your library induction…I look forward to meeting you!
– Ian, Subject Librarian for Psychology, UEL.